The purpose of the Philadelphia Society is “to sponsor the interchange of ideas through discussion and writing, in the interest of deepening the intellectual foundations of a free and ordered society and of broadening the understanding of its basic principles and traditions. In pursuit of this end, we shall examine a wide range of issues: economic, political, social, cultural, religious and philosophic. We shall seek understanding, not conformity.” (Bylaws, Article I)
As such, the Philadelphia Society is a social organization with an intellectual focus. Persons who can contribute to furthering the purposes of the Society and who have attended at least one meeting of the Society as a guest shall be eligible for membership upon nomination by an existing member.
STEPS TO MEMBERSHIP:
- Attend at least one meeting as a guest. (Requires sponsorship by a current member of the Society.)
- Receive nomination to membership by a current member of the Society.
- Complete and return membership application form.
- Ensure that two letters of recommendation are submitted on your behalf (your nomination letter counts as one).
- Wait. The Membership Committee reviews completed applications for membership in January each year and submits recommendations for membership to the Board of Trustees at its annual spring meeting.
- If invited to join, accept membership and pay annual dues.
- Continue in good standing by paying subsequent annual dues no later than April 1 each calendar year.
Current Dues Schedule:
Regular Membership $125/year
35 and under $ 75/year
Life Members* Waived
Distinguished Members** Waived
*Members who have been in good standing for at least ten years and are over 75.
**Elected upon unanimous decision of the Board for merit.